School bus conduct and safety rules for pupils are as follows:
- Only the driver, students, and authorized personnel are allowed to ride a bus.
- The bus driver has the same relationship to the child as does the school teacher. It is his/her duty to maintain order on the bus at all times.
- Upon recommendation of the bus driver, school authorities can deny the privilege of riding the bus to any pupil who refuses to follow the rules listed below.
- The student will:
- obey the driver promptly and respectfully. He/she is working for your safety; you must realize that the driver has a big responsibility and that it is your job to help.
- be careful in approaching bus stops, walk on left facing on-coming traffic if there are no sidewalks along the roadside. On leaving the bus, if student is to cross the street, walk 10 steps ahead of the bus and wait for the driver to signal student to cross; never cross behind the bus.
- avoid standing or playing on the road while waiting for the bus.
- not destroy or damage surrounding property in any way while waiting for the bus. (Such damage results in discontinuance of bus "stops").
- help keep the bus on schedule. Be at your stop ten (10) minutes before scheduled stop time.
- not enter or leave the bus until it has come to a full stop and the door has been opened by the driver.
- take his/her turn and avoid pushing when entering or leaving the bus.
- be seated promptly and be careful not to block the aisles. No one is permitted to save seats. Remain seated until the bus stops. The driver has the authority to assign seats as he/she feels it is necessary.
- remember that loud talking or laughing or unnecessary confusion diverts the driver's attention and may result in a serious accident. Classroom conduct is expected except for conversation in normal tones. There must be absolute quiet at railroads and major intersections.
- not use profane language and will not show indecent conduct.
- not be allowed to tease, scuffle, or handle each other.
- not be permitted to open or close windows or doors except by permission of the driver.
- treat bus equipment as valuable furniture in the home. Help keep the bus clean, sanitary and orderly. Deposit garbage in container at the front of the bus. No food or drink shall be consumed on the bus. Those who damage the bus will be expected to pay the damages.
- not smoke on the bus.
NEVER, NEVER CROSS IN BACK OF THE BUS!
Parents and students are requested to know the importance of the "DANGER ZONE" illustrated in the diagram below. This is the area around the school bus where it is extremely difficult for a driver to see a child.
The Portage Township Schools' Transportation Department encourages your advice on ways to improve the student transportation operation. Do not hesitate to contact the Transportation Department office if they can be of assistance to you. Phone: 219-763-8080.