KINDERGARTEN ROUND UP – March 2017
Kindergarten Round Up in the Portage Township Schools will be held on Wednesday, April 12, 2017, from 9:30 to 11:30 am and 5:30 to 7:00 pm, at each elementary school for children who will be five years of age on or before August 1, 2017. Parents may pre-register online prior to visiting the schools.
Please see the Portage Schools web-site for more registration information http://www.portage.k12.in.us/.
All incoming kindergarten students will have a Kindergarten Assessment in August before the new schoolyear starts. When you come to Round Up, you will select a time either on, Wednesday August 2, or Thursday, August 3, 2017. The assessment will take place at the school your Kindergarten student will be attending.
For Round Up, you will need to bring your child’s:
- Board of Health Birth Certificate
- Proof of Immunization (Board of Health or Physician Verified)
- Social Security number, if available
- Guardianship Papers, if applicable
- Copy of parent or guardian’s Driver’s License or ID
- Please bring two pieces of documentation for residency verification:
- Lease Agreement
- Mortgage papers
- Driver’s License or Valid Federal/State ID
- Water bill and/or sewer bill
- Bill with the home mailing address
- Home telephone or cellular telephone bill with home mailing address
- Guardianship papers
- Affidavit or Residency (notarized and must be submitted annually)
- Indiana Department of Education form I, II, or III (form can be picked up at your child’s school)
Book Rental fees will be collected when you bring your child in for the Kindergarten Assessment in August.
Kindergarten children need to come to Round Up with you. While you are completing the registration process, we will briefly assess each child’s Kindergarten readiness skills and provide you with the results. Additionally you will receive information on the Kindergarten Program and a “Bright Beginnings” back pack containing supplies and activities that will support you and better prepare your child for Kindergarten. You will also have the opportunity to sign up for a chance to have your child attend a free Summer KinderKamp to help prepare your child for school.
For parents of children who will turn five (5) on August 2, 2017 OR before September 1, 2017, you may request a "waiver" of the state adopted kindergarten school entrance date. Kindergarten waiver requests will be accepted at each school until Tuesday, August 1, 2017.
We encourage you to contact your child’s school should you have any further questions about Kindergarten enrollment, waivers, or the requirements needed for your child’s successful registration at Round Up on Wednesday, April 12, 2017.